Linux World / Network World 2006

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 13:12:27 UTC 2005

The funny thing is that Evan is complaiing about the going ons of the 2003 Linux World, the one he and Matt were in charge of under CLUE, and the one that was Shanghied by these consultants.

He is not complaining about the successful LinuxWorld presence of 2005 that GTALUG held.

Also, no one seems to have mentioned the reasons of the stumbling blocks for the 2006 LinuxWorld presence. They are as follows:

1) Plum Communications wishes GTALUG to make available to a third party the snail mail addresses of its members for the purposes of sending advertising,

2) Plum communications requires us to cancel any educational program (which means the UofT and NewTlug meetings) prior too and after LinuxWorld. The time period around it would be 3 TLUG meetings, and 4 NewTlug meetings.

Now I have met and spoken with Bruce in my official capacity as a board member (which I am no longer by the way), and I have specifically asked about the problems of 2003 and he didn't say anything about them to me. So this is entirely water under the bridge to him if it ever was a problem.

Also the reason we were not at the 2004 Linux World was the opportunity wasn't communicated to the group of people that organize these things. Our presence at 2005 was due in part because I provided a list of names and contact emails as well as Colin contacting him directly last year this time on behalf of GTALUG.

Now presently Colin has been asked by the board to negotiate with Plum Communications on the above issues. The first is simply non-negotiable to the board, GTALUG will not provide a mailing list. It is against the law, and violates the trust this group has provided.

The second is also considered non-negotiable, since these meetings are the primary reason this groups exist and cancelling one quarter of the annual meetings is ridiculous.

Bill