Linux World / Network World 2006

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 04:51:22 UTC 2005

William Park wrote:

>>People should not use the TLUG booth as a vehicle to advance their own commercial interests.
>>

>Such simplistic statement betrays lack of experience and ignorance of reality.

That's insulting, and itself indicates a massive gap between GTALUG's
reality and the reality for the rest of us.

First let me say that I completely agree with Clifford. Furthermore, I
suggest that the experience card is one you _really_ don't want to play;
I think you owe an apology to those who disagree with your viewpoint
before you get badly embarassed.

>1.  Tradeshow is about business.  People come to the show to do busines (both visitors and exhibitors).  It would be helpful if everyone here reflect on that reality.

Unfortunately, such reflection reveals that the GTALUG "reality" appears
itself forgetful (I'll resist for now the temptation to say ignorant) of
a few critical details:

1) GTALUG as I understand it does not exist to do conventional business.
It exists as a non-profit organization (which has special status in
corporate law) because it exists, not to serve shareholders, but to
serve the pubic good. That's why NPOs are not taxed. And, more
importantly for the subject at hand, it's why NPOs are offered perks
unavailable to for-profit companies such as free booths at tradeshows.
Sure, there are non-profit associations such as CompTIA or BSA whose
members exist to make money, but these orgs explicitly exist to create
joint programs which serve common goals of their members. The
_collective_ goals are what's important to these groups. And it is the
collective goals alone that LinuxWorld reasonably is asking GTALUG to
bring to its booth.

2) The tradeshow indeed itself is about business. The organizers make
money by selling booth space to groups looking to sell goods and
services, so that they can expose those goods and services to attendees
who are potential buyers. GTALUG, by trying to obtain such a
commercial-function booth for free under the guise of a social-purpose
user group, could be accused of trying to get something for nothing. If
regular-price exhibitors discover that GTALUG got a free ride but offers
commerial functions in competition with them, they could stay away from
future shows and cost the organizers real sales.

3) The LWE organizers have historically had a ".org pavillion" because
they want to show off the grassroots nature of FOSS, the core that
produces free and independent resources. They attract groups such as the
FSF, KDE, EFF, LTSP, GNOME Foundation, Knoppix and others who help
demonstrate the power and strength of those who put public awareness
ahead of commercial gain. This attracts attendees and offers exposure to
cash-strapped groups. The model has worked effectively for years, even
in places such as Japan where the concept of the NPO isn't well
understood. To have a GTALUG hosting commercial marketing is a
perversion of the intent of the ".org pavillion", an intent which most
other user groups (including CLUE in Canada, UKUUG in Britain and LiVE
in Germany) have had no problems following.

>2.  Furthermore, it would be helpful if everyone recognizes that GTALUG has evolved and grown.  We are still a gathering of Linux guys.  We will get together to talk about Linux hardware/software, with or without GTALUG.  But, GTALUG (formal entity) will pursue business opportunities, not as retail operation (which seems to be what has got everyone's panties up in knot), but as advocacy and education group.

If only.

What advocacy and education functions are planned for the LinuxWorld
booth? Do the education functions compete with the private sector? So
far all I've seen is a bitter fight for the right for individual member
contultants to market themselves, even though such a function exists
nowhere in the GTALUG Manifesto.

If GTALUG wants to be at LinuxWorld to act as a hub for consultants
peddling their services, go right ahead. But stop calling yourselves a
user group, stay out of the .org area, and pay market rates for your booth.

- Evan