Linux World / Network World 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 25 22:58:38 UTC 2005

Just to follow-up on the recent comments regarding
next year's Linux World / Network World 2006 show:

- Yes, there were problems with the way TLUG
volunteers handled 2003 show, arguably serious
problems. However it was a case of live and learn. The
biggest problems at the 2005 show were things like so
many people dropped by our booth it got crowded,
problems that were out of everyone's hands to fix at
that time.

- Yes, there are some issues between Plum
Communications and GTALUG. Plum made an offer, namely
they will provide a free booth under the following
conditions.... The board meet on Monday (I sat in on
that board meeting) and are putting together a
response. The board is willing to offer some stuff
Plum  have not asked for in exchange for them dropping
some stuff they have asked for. In other words
everyone involved is, as I understand it, expecting
some give and take.

- Yes, there are debates as to how to handle a NewTLUG
meeting at the show, who should talk, how the talk
should be handled, etc.. None of these are serious
concerns, Herb has done a first rate job of booking
speakers for NewTLUG for many months and I am very
confident in his ability to book a speaker (or
speakers) for the April meeting at the Convention
Centre. Still the final call on this will be Herb's.

- What is also true is that Evan Leibovitch offer to
help resolve issues is not wanted or needed at least
at this time. For reasons that I don't fully follow
(and quite frankly I don't want to follow) Evan seems
to have managed to greatly annoy a majority of the
GTALUG board members and there seems to be a common
view within the board that Evan is one of the last
people GTALUG would want to act on behalf of GTALUG.
Communications between GTALUG and Plum Communications
are to be handled by GTALUG board members or who ever
the board delegates to (which at least for now I
gather is to be me). In the mean time Evan Leibovitch
is only an unwelcome distraction to the job of putting
together a deal GTALUG/Plum Communications can be
happy with and the very real work of putting together
a booth.

Colin McGregor

BCC: Stephanie Cole - Plum Communications