Linux World / Network World 2006

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 23 22:01:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 01:45:54AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> To be sure, there is little of value for you to learn, but there is much
> of value for you to teach. Being at Linuxworld means lots of giving and
> very little direct receiving, unless you're trying to hustle personal
> consulting work out of the TLUG booth.

See below.

> >There's certainly INTEREST.
> >
> >There are also some RESERVATIONS concerning some of the details in the
> >contract presented by Plum Communications, Inc.
> >

> AFAIR, CLUE never had a problem complying with Plum requests. The
> contracts also never kept out other orgs such as PCCT or the FSF. Maybe
> the TLUG contract includes additional non-standard terms based on
> performance of previous booths.
>
> I will gladly offer any possible assistance as mediator between TLUG
> and Plum if that will help. Alternately, put the contentious contract
> details out on this list and see if the rest of us share your
> concerns.

Speaking for myself (and few others outside GTALUG), my problems are
    1. they want street address of TLUG members.
    2. they want no demoing of TLUG members' work or business.

1.  This is easy.  We have no street address to give out.  So, Plum Com
    can take it or leave it.

2.  This is my main problem.  Few people (including me) are more than
    willing to pay for the booth.  But, idea floated around that we
    should each chip in and merge into single booth.  Everybody agreed
    that GTALUG is ideal umbrella to be under.

    So, I want to invite members from TLUG (Toronto), PLUG
    (Peterborough), KWLUG (Kitchener/Waterloo), etc. to showcase their
    projects at the tradeshow.  They will be under GTALUG, but they will
    also represent their own LUG.  It's win-win for all concerned,
    particularly for GTALUG.

    I don't know how to resolve this one.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada