Linux World / Network World 2006

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 23 05:45:54 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne wrote:

>>I think even considering having a show like LinuxWorld without LUG
>>presence is preposterous.
>>

>Well, that side of things is TOTALLY up to Plum Communications Inc.,
>the company that organizes the conference.  What THEY want to consider
>is entirely their business.

I know Bruce and Jai enough to know that they are well aware of the
value of community participation. I don't presume to know what's
happened to cause William to suggest that there might be no TLUG
participation, but I'm fairly certain that plumcom hasn't suddenly
dismissed the benefit of having LUGs at their conference. Since they
have no problem with CLUE or other orgs, it may be something
specifically to do with [G]T[A]LUG.

>The omission of a LUG presence would diminish participation by one
>non-paying booth, which, in the business scheme of things, strikes me
>as not merely "not preposterous," but potentially not even of a high
>degree of relevance to them.

Every LinuxWorld event worldwide, from Boston to Beijing, has a
significant community presence -- not just for LUGs, but for software
projects such as LTSP and other orgs such as KDE or FSF. This is a
characteristic of the LW brand wherever it's used, not an option.

The only thing close to an exception for this in the past year was
LinuxWorld Moscow, which originally wanted to have a community-free show
but later changed its mind for purely practical reasons. The lack of a
community presence was keeping paying exhibitors away.

Make no mistake; the community area of LW shows attract both exhibitors
and attendees. It makes real economic sense. It's my understanding that
there _will_ be such a ".org pavilion" at LW Canada -- I am just baffled
at the prospect of it not having any local LUG presence. Or even worse,
of having the only user group (in the absence of TLUG) be something like
PCCT.

>And after having been to RWL several times, it's a specialty event not
>at all precisely aligned with the interests of groups of LInux
>enthusiasts.

I respectfully disagree, strongly.

The show is intended to grow the use of Linux, and the interest of user
groups that I know (not just TLUG) is to grow the size of the community.
Some portion of existing groups like to stay elitist and really don't
care about growing, and others seem to think that Novell or IBM making a
Linux sale to a previously Windows or SCO shop isn't a big deal because
that's "just marketing".

But I believe that the community includes everyone from the basement
enthusiast to IBM, and a growth *anywhere* in the community offers both
financial benefit and a furthering of general goals for open source to
go from novelty to niche to mainstream.

To be sure, there is little of value for you to learn, but there is much
of value for you to teach. Being at Linuxworld means lots of giving and
very little direct receiving, unless you're trying to hustle personal
consulting work out of the TLUG booth.

To this end, a business-oriented show may not have any direct attraction
to someone deep into the nuts and bolts of Linux operation, but they are
of substantial indirect interest. Any company making a purchase decision
based on this business and marketing stuff will eventually need to hire
Linux techs, get their people trained, contract support or programming,
etc. Or they'll hire a subcontractor that will itself need to hire Linux
techs, etc.

So it's in the interest of the techs to assist the suits in the ugly
marketing and sales job. One of the great inherent benefits of the world
of open source is the community, the bazaar, the multitude of
meritocracies. It would be helpful to The Cause to have at least a token
local representation at a show like LinuxWorld.

>There's certainly INTEREST.
>
>There are also some RESERVATIONS concerning some of the details in the
>contract presented by Plum Communications, Inc.

AFAIR, CLUE never had a problem complying with Plum requests. The
contracts also never kept out other orgs such as PCCT or the FSF. Maybe
the TLUG contract includes additional non-standard terms based on
performance of previous booths.

I will gladly offer any possible assistance as mediator between TLUG and
Plum if that will help. Alternately, put the contentious contract
details out on this list and see if the rest of us share your concerns.

- Evan