OT: Netscape et al gaining on MSIE

Herb Richter hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 23 21:11:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, ted leslie wrote:

> i am surprized, hard to believe,
> but having said that, for years, browsers like opera, have had options to run in
> "identify mode" and i set it to IE because it is more compatiable with web pages i visited.
> I would suspect a 1-2% of MSIE are in fact opera, and others browsers masquerading.
> Of course your web site could be naturally biased more to opensource/linux visitors? do to
> its content? Opera claims 2-5 million users alone i think, so probably one percent of the MSIE
> in your list are opera (and odd ball). I can't help but think your site has a subject matter
> biasing the hits?

Actually, if my site's subject matter has any bias it would be towards the
very late adoptor (can't imagine more than a few early adoptors).  After
all, our usual visitor is someone looking for parts for a 10 or 20 year
old lawn mower ...I get many emails and orders typed completely in caps! ;-)

I can imagine that Stewart's observation that:

	"Last week on scruss.com :

	* Mozilla 46%
	* MSIE 28%

	based on about 5000 unique visits."

might describe a site where the typical user is more adventurous or
careful in his/her choices.

--

        Herb Richter  <hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
        Toronto, Ontario