Linux World / Network World 2006

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 23 04:01:27 UTC 2005

On 10/22/05, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> William Park wrote:
>
> >But, TLUG may not be there at all.  Stay tuned.
> >

> Please elaborate.
>
> I think even considering having a show like LinuxWorld without LUG
> presence is preposterous.

Well, that side of things is TOTALLY up to Plum Communications Inc.,
the company that organizes the conference.  What THEY want to consider
is entirely their business.

The omission of a LUG presence would diminish participation by one
non-paying booth, which, in the business scheme of things, strikes me
as not merely "not preposterous," but potentially not even of a high
degree of relevance to them.

What would be "preposterous" would be to not have presences of
significant paying booths for IBM, Novell, HP, and such, as that would
prevent profitability, and presumably throw Plum's people out of
jobs...

And after having been to RWL several times, it's a specialty event not
at all precisely aligned with the interests of groups of LInux
enthusiasts.  I only caught about an hour of it last year, and the
contacts relevant to me had NOTHING close to do with either of the
things that are called "Linux."

(One of those is an OS kernel which is the "strictest" form of what
Linux is; the other would be the collections of software that include
Linux that, unfortunately, are often not meaningfully distinguishable
from mostly-similar such collections that use other OS kernels...)

> If there's still an interest in having a
> meeting and/or some of the presentations we've been talking about there,
> if {NewT,T,GTA,WestT}LUG  won't be there CLUE can probably accommodate.

There's certainly INTEREST.

There are also some RESERVATIONS concerning some of the details in the
contract presented by Plum Communications, Inc.

It should come as no shock that, in return for a free booth, they wish
to impose some conditions on GTALUG.  The details may be entirely
resolvable; that remains to be seen.

Right now, it stands much like Schrodinger's cat before the box is
opened; it's neither live nor dead.

> We'll be there anyway, staffing a booth and delivering discounted LPI exams.
>
> (For those who don't recall, one of the reasons that CLUE first
> incorporated was to provide a corporate entity which could engage in
> contracts for booth space with tradeshow organizers, on behalf of
> unincorporated LUGs. This worked well for TLUG for many years.)

And not every contract is one that people will necessarily want to agree to.

It appears that there will be a meeting Monday to get more eyes on the
matter; it seems preferable to reserve further judgement until after
that.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)