Mandrake question

Devin Whalen devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 20:13:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 15:30 -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I got a copy of Mandriva and it has quickly made me feel dense. :p I
> hope this isn't an overly obvious question but I can't find the answer I
> need on the 'urpmi' man page or on Mandriva's website.
>
>    Basically, for my program's manual I am trying to figure out what
> command line call will install a set of applications. In Debian terms
> this would be:
>
> # apt-get install foo bar baz
>
>    I think I need to use 'urpmi' but when I, for example, issue:
>
> # urpmi --install nano
>
>    It tells me that it can't find 'nano'. When I run 'rpmdrake' and
> search for 'nano' though it finds it just fine. The trick is that I
> really want to figure out a command-line app that will handle the install.
>
>    Thanks all!
>
> Madison

Hey,

I have to admit that I am not really an expert on urpmi but I do use it
a lot in a very basic way.  I think the problem might be that you have
to have your media added to urpmi.  For example these are the commands
that I used to get the main and contrib media available to me:

urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://ftp.caliu.info/pub/distribucions/mandrake/devel/10.1/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://ftp.caliu.info/pub/distribucions/mandrake/devel/10.1/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

This will allow me to run
urpmi -a mplayer
and if these sites have the latest version of mplayer then it will
install it and all its dependencies.

However, for your situation I think that you will have to set up your
own urpmi site so that you can offer the latest versions of your
software.  For example I use the xfce window manager and the above
mentioned sites are never up to date whereas, this site always has the
latest versions.  So I ran this when I first installed 10.1:
urpmi.addmedia eslrahc http://www.eslrahc.com/10.1/ with hdlist.cz

and now whenever a new release of xfce is out I run
urpmi.update -a (this is optional)
then
uprmi -a xfce
and if the guy who runs the site http://www.eslrahc.com/ has added the
updated rpms then I will get them.

So I guess if you set up your own site that would offer rpms of your
software then you could run a script to get the latest media.  However,
I have absolutely no idea how to set up a urpmi site.  Or you could add
your rpm to another site.

However, this is all from someone who is using 10.1, so maybe the
commands have changed.  BTW, how is Mandriva 2006?  I am thinking about
upgrading and was just wondering what your thoughts are so far.

Later

--
Devin Whalen
Programmer

Take back the Web with FireFox....a browser you can trust
www.getfirefox.com

   .-.
   /v\    L   I   N   U   X
  // \\