Linux World / Network World 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 19:10:23 UTC 2005

--- interlug-list <interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 16:55, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > One of the questions that the show organizers have
> > raised can be boiled down to "What about shifting
> the
> > April GTALUG and NewTLUG meetings to the show?".
> The
> > show organizers would be happy to supply some free
> > evening conference rooms, and provide some AV
> > equipment.[ ... ]
> > So, feedback anyone?
> >
> > Colin McGregor
>
> If they'll provide one room for a meeting, perhaps
> they'll provide a
> second room for an installfest?  Might the trade
> show be a good
> environment for that?

My impression is that if they have a room available
and we can do something interesting with it, then it
is ours. In other words, yes we could likely get a
room for an installfest. The next question is would it
be wise?

The answer to the wisdom of running an install fest at
the show is an open question. The show organizers will
NOT pay for our internet connectivity at the show (we
are on our own for that, and we are on our own should
we want to serve food/drink at the show). The
convention centre does have internet connectivity
available, for a price (I don't recall the numbers
from when I last looked into this for the World
Science Fiction Convention about 2.5 years ago, but
they were totally ABSURD). So, the question we must
ask is "Can we do this without access to the net (for
drivers, reference info., etc.), or can we find a
sponsor who would pay for our connection at the
show?". Not sure as to that answer...

Colin McGregor