Video Card Recommendations

Ian Zimmerman itz-4SqnbbNSRR0 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 00:03:29 UTC 2005

William> If I was buying a new video card today for a desktop machine,
William> what should I buy?  I want complete support under Linux,
William> obviously, and preferably an Open Source driver rather than a
William> 3rd-party binary.

Colin> Well, I would start with the nVidia based cards (sad to say at
Colin> the MOMENT the ATI drivers as are not up to snuff). Unless you
Colin> are getting into games any of the various nVidia 5xxx series
Colin> should do fine. On the MythTV Users mailing list the nVidia FX
Colin> 5200 cards get a fair bit of positive comment, because they are
Colin> inexpensive, can take anything MythTV can throw at them, and
Colin> there are versions of this card without a fan for the card's GPU
Colin> chip (the last point important if you want to say put your PC in
Colin> the livingroom beside the TV and are concerned about noise :-) ).

But are there non-crippled free drivers?  A few years ago anyone with a
nVidia card was advised to use nVidia's proprietary drivers because the
specs necessary to do acceleration were secret.  Has this changed?

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)