Video Card Recommendations

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 19 23:25:51 UTC 2005

--- William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> If I was buying a new video card today for a desktop
> machine, what
> should I buy?  I want complete support under Linux,
> obviously, and
> preferably an Open Source driver rather than a
> 3rd-party binary.

Well, I would start with the nVidia based cards (sad
to say at the MOMENT the ATI drivers as are not up to
snuff). Unless you are getting into games any of the
various nVidia 5xxx series should do fine. On the
MythTV Users mailing list the nVidia FX 5200 cards get
a fair bit of positive comment, because they are
inexpensive, can take anything MythTV can throw at
them, and there are versions of this card without a
fan for the card's GPU chip (the last point important
if you want to say put your PC in the livingroom
beside the TV and are concerned about noise :-) ).