Linux World / Network World 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 17 21:14:15 UTC 2005

--- psema4 <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10/17/05, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > Planning us already underway for Linux World /
> Network
> > World 2006 which will be held April 24-26, 2006 at
> the
> > Metro Convention Centre, North Building (down on
> Front
> > Street by the CN Tower).
> >
> > One of the questions that the show organizers have
> > raised can be boiled down to "What about shifting
> the
> > April GTALUG and NewTLUG meetings to the show?".
> The
> > show organizers would be happy to supply some free
> > evening conference rooms, and provide some AV
> > equipment. I personally have some mixed feelings
> about
> > this idea, but I promised that I would toss this
> out
> > to the membership and pass on what I hear over the
> > next few days.
> >
> > So, feedback anyone?
>
> It sounds like a great opportunity for people who've
> never been to a
> LUG meeting to see what one's like.  Particularly,
> the idea gives
> local business reps a chance to network directly
> with members of the
> local LUGs, which would be good I think.
>
> What kind of mixed feelings are you having?

I agree that doing something at the show would be
EXCELLENT. My concern comes back to what Drew noted
when the idea of moving GTALUG away from the
University of Toronto was shot down. The key point was
how many people would drop out from going to GTALUG
all together. As in, if we did a GTALUG/NewTLUG
meeting at the Metro Convention Centre, would it just
be ignored, and people not goto any meeting in month
in April? Alternatively would people just show up at
the usual meeting time/place regardless of what was
announced?

Points to be considered.

Colin McGregor