Linux World / Network World 2006

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 17 21:53:00 UTC 2005

Colin McGregor wrote:

>Planning us already underway for Linux World / Network
>World 2006 which will be held April 24-26, 2006 at the
>Metro Convention Centre, North Building (down on Front
>Street by the CN Tower).

Well, that's better than the "over the train tracks and down fourteen
escalators" south building...

>One of the questions that the show organizers have
>raised can be boiled down to "What about shifting the
>April GTALUG and NewTLUG meetings to the show?". The
>show organizers would be happy to supply some free
>evening conference rooms, and provide some AV
>equipment. I personally have some mixed feelings about
>this idea, but I promised that I would toss this out
>to the membership and pass on what I hear over the
>next few days.
>
>So, feedback anyone?

I don't think there's much good to having the über-geek TLUG at the
show, but I see great value in a NewTLUG meeting there.

Trade shows attract vendors, business users and the new-to-Linux.
Hardcore techies IMO tend not to like them. Certainly the conference
topics that organizers have done -- which indicate the tone and desired
audience -- lean towards business and newbie issues.

Having a meeting that introduces newcomers to the local user group
scene, talking at a level designed for open source neophytes, is exactly
why NewTLUG was created.

On the tradeshow floor, the talk will be all software, and vendors
offering to simplify and handhold and all that. For a NewTLUG meeting,
get some speakers who won't just talk tech, and do instead of human
interest. Maybe a talk of Linux and open source in the GTA, the history
of TLUG (which is one of the oldest LUGs), something that will help show
off the friendliness of the group rather than just harp on the tech
expertise. Lots of time for Q&A. I suspect after a day of show-floor
walking, attendees will have had their fill of tech experts.

Perhaps the meeting could be held for an hour or so after the show
closes, moving to one of the Front Street restaurants for anyone still
interested in a less formal setting in which to meet the group.

Just my opinion,

- Evan

PS: All bets are off if the primary purpose of the meeting is hijacked
to sell memberships.