OT: Tuesday Globe -- Ottawa and Wiretap access

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 15 04:52:46 UTC 2005

Did anyone else see this article on proposed wiretapping abilities?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051011.wxaccess11/BNStory/National/

I don't take issue with the actual potential for invasion of privacy,
since I think it is somewhat inevitable. For anyone who isn't involved
in illegal activities there should be no problems. Regardless (and I
concurr the previous point is very much debateable), my concern is with
the following:

"The major boost in interception capacity is in proposals the government
has put forward in confidential negotiations with the telecom industry
as it prepares new legislation on high-tech wiretapping scheduled to be
introduced next month."

Why must the proposals be confidential? If it is a government
initiative, shouldn't the proposals be made public, what with the
governemnt being a public body and all? Claiming that making such
proposals public knowledge would give the baddies the jump on new
wiretapping technologies is silly in light of existing encryption and
anonymizing tools already available.

Thoughts?

Jamon Camisso