OT: Tuesday Globe -- Ottawa and Wiretap access

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 15 05:44:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Jamon Camisso wrote:

> Did anyone else see this article on proposed wiretapping abilities?
>
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051011.wxaccess11/BNStory/National/
>
> I don't take issue with the actual potential for invasion of privacy,
> since I think it is somewhat inevitable. For anyone who isn't involved
> in illegal activities there should be no problems. Regardless (and I

This is only true if we start from the premise that the government will
only ever use wiretapping to investigate those reasonably suspected of
involvement in crimes.  History shows that wiretapping has been used far
more widely than this, even in democracies.  There is always the fear of
the "slipper slope" too.

> Why must the proposals be confidential? If it is a government initiative,

It shouldn't be.

> shouldn't the proposals be made public, what with the governemnt being a
> public body and all? Claiming that making such proposals public knowledge
> would give the baddies the jump on new wiretapping technologies is silly in
> light of existing encryption and anonymizing tools already available.
>
> Thoughts?

It is an application of "security through obscurity".  This is a flawed
approach to security but one which many erroneously cling to.

Bringing this closer to home, many of the criticisms laid on OSS by those
who do not understand it well[1] often boil down to a belief that security
through obscurity is a good thing.

[1] Just quiz then on licencing to establish this.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org