Anybody else tried FreeBasic (aka fbc)?

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 8 15:03:39 UTC 2005

On 10/5/05, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:53:05AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote
>
> > I really don't think I miss BASIC at all. Nope quite sure. :)
> >
> > Why use BASIC when many much nicer languages with saner syntax exist
> > like OCAML, Python, etc.
>
> I've recently begun a personal pet project where I need to process a
> honking big text file and produce a relatively smaller, but still quite
> large text file. I need a *COMPILED* language for that. I need to have
> multiple filehandles reading from the same input file. I need to do
> string-handling and number-crunching. If..THEN..ELSE, SELECT CASE, and
> various looping constructs are required.

Hi Walter,

I don't know if I'm suggesting something that's already been burnt to a
crisp, but either awk or Perl will give you great speed for processing
honking big text files, even using multiple file handles.

Perl (with which I have some experience) can be used without object
orientation and multiple inheritance. You can use it strictly (heh) as a
command line utility; no vast GUI to deal with.

I have successfully used Perl with multi-gigabyte files; it's an industrial
strength solution. Only if speed is absolutely the highest priority should
you need to go to hand optimized C code .. and I have lots of experience
with C as well, it's lightning fast but can be slow to develop. Perl is
almost as fast, but very quick to develop.

Alex

I do *NOT* need "abject ornamentation". I do *NOT* need multiple