regexp matching question

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 8 12:51:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Walter Dnes wrote:

>> From headers<g>.  It's not quite as bad as Microsoft's
>
>  Look Ma.  No prefixing in maildir, and it works OK for me.

You are not going to like this but I made progess with my customized
formail replacement:

a) there are mail messages with 990+ character long lines. All
invariably generated by microshit email tools (and I do not mean spam)

b) there are attempted exploits (buffer or stack overrun) which can
confuse pattern matchers which use small buffers. I used huge (and I
mean huge) buffers.

c) formail tries hard to cope with these problems but some make it
crash as I can see. By crashing I mean it is unable to match the pattern
properly and misses messages.

d) escaped or unescaped From headers do cause problems especially when
they are fed unquoted into a mailbox by clueless scripts and other
tools. Not otherwise.

Peter