Microsoft trying to quash OpenDocument

pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 4 02:45:34 UTC 2005

The points you bring up regarding the above links was covered earlier
in this thread.

There was also a fascinating article from Groklaw earlier in this
thread if you are following this stuff, complete with a purportedly
unedited OGG file depicting the 2-hour meeting between
representatives from Microsoft and the Government of Massachusetts
regarding civil rights, OpenDocument and Microsoft's XML format.
While it is 2 hours long, after hearing the first hour, it seemed to
be a pretty lively discussion (how can you lose, with topics like
that?).

Points are brought up revealing (to me at least) MS's plans to
abandon the ".doc" format. At this point, I would like to say as an
asside: an extension like ".doc", like ".txt", appears to be vendor-
neutral, yet it is hard to *not* identify the ".doc" extension with
MS Word. I imagine, unless someone can say that I am mistaken, that
they would keep the ".doc" extension as "hot property", and change
the file format. In contrast, StarOffice had to settle for a crummy
".sxw" extension (I know it was their choice, but we can see that
vendors are now running out of recognisable 3-letter extensions). I
can't see Microsoft going that way.