Microsoft trying to quash OpenDocument

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 23:04:57 UTC 2005

The M$ head office response has already started.  As they can't put their name
on the FUD directly, they've called out the usual suspects, in this case
James Prendergast, executive director of Americans for Technology Leadership,
a political pressure group that includes as its founders (surprise,
surprise), Microsoft.

Fox News got such a hit from this article that they were forced to add this:

Of course the problem that M$ has with this is:
1)  In order to keep their monopoly on the desktop, they need to keep everyone
on a proprietary format, which means keeping their office suite from reading
and saving files in the OpenDocument format;
2)  In order to sell to Massachusetts, they need to allow their office suite
to read and save files in the OpenDocument format.

Of course these are irreconcilables, which is why M$ is currently in a high
state of panic.

On October 3, 2005 09:23, B B wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 06:55:23 -0400, pking123 wrote:
> >it is because their lawyers told them not to support
>
> it, because it would weaken their attack of the
> technology.
>
> Exactally, I was looking at it from the view of an
> empowered user, which due to free software now exsist.
> One of the articles in the thread focuses on how M$ is
> at the same position that IBM was when M$ started.
>
> I've been waiting to see the first chinks in the armor
> of Bill the Great and Linux on its own would not be
> it. The US Antitrust should have been it but a big
> customer standing up and saying "your software is not
> good enough for us, we are choosing the alternative"
> IS!
>
> Expect to see a M$ head office response to this, the
> lawyers and "best minds in the business world" need a
> few days to brew the FUD...  Should be here soon.
> http://news.google.com/news?q=microsoft
>
> Freedom and openness is a big, heavy sword and we
> heard the sound of it swinging last week. Get used to it!

there's no place like 127.0.0.1