Debian upgrade issue

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 17:22:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:21:07PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> When I run a dist-upgrade on my Debian testing system, I notice the
> following:
>
> The following packages have been kept back:
>       x-window-system-core
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>
> I've done some looking, but I cannot seem to find out why this package
> has been kept back, or what to do about it.  It is a meta-package, which
> complicates the issue, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't significant,
> it's just wonky and bugs me.  Does anyone have a suggestion about how I
> can upgrade this package?  Thanks.

To find out why try just doing:

apt-get install x-window-system-core and it will tell you what the
problem is, or it will tell you it has to remove x and install y to
update the package.  This happens sometimes when a major change happsn
that it isn't sure it should perform automatically (such as xfree86 to
x.org transition).

Lennart Sorensen