Microsoft trying to quash OpenDocument

pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 2 16:36:47 UTC 2005

The article traces back to Fox News. I don't recall anyone ever
accusing Fox News of high-integrity journalism. So, apparently, the
State of Massachusetts, by choosing to embrace an open-source
document format, is killing (Microsoft's) innovation and stifling
(Microsoft's share in the control over) democracy. I am sure that M$
could write drivers that support the open document format, but I
guess now the open format will make it possible for other vendors to
enter the market with alternatives to MS Word. And that will truly
hurt Microsoft's "innovation", among the other things it will hurt.

It is a truly disgusting article, but if you just consider where it
is coming from, you can just ignore them and go back to bed. These
people are not journalists, but they play one on Fox News. The
article reads pretty much like a Microsoft press release. James
Prendergast, the author is in this piece,  Seems to be nothing more
than a stenographer for Microsoft. While it is an opinion piece,
notice there is no balance from open source advocates provided by
Fox. Pendergrast represents Americans For Technology Leadership,
founded by Microsoft (I checked their website), Staples Business
Depot, CompUSA, and a handful of citizens groups.
(http://www.techleadership.org/about/)

The article gives the impression of this being a piece from a
"concerned grassroots citizen". But it is anything but that.