Gatesware + Thunderbird + Sympatico broadband doesn't work

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 25 20:42:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 02:55:43PM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> bob wrote:
>
> >I've now had a 2nd first hand experience with Thunderbird on Gatesware
> >with Sympatico broadband.      It simply does not work.
> >
> >I could get the POP incoming mail to work,  but nothing I tried could get
> >the SMTP to work.
> >

> >The SMTP settings were:
> >
> >smtphm.sympatico.ca
> >port 25
> >TSL
> >userid=email address
> >

> Just for the heck of it, try port 465 instead of 25 and see if that helps.
>
> I know that Rogers blocks outgoing port 25 and it wouldn't surprise me
> if Bell does that too.

Until I left them a few years ago, Bell blocked outgoing port 25
in general, but allowed port 25 if it was directed to Bell's own
mail server.  (I left when they started block incoming port 25
without any notice and not ensuring that their customer support
people knew of the change so that they would tell the truth if a
customer asked if that change had been made.  Relaying outgoing
SMTP through their server was not too great a hardship, but only
using a sympatico domain name for my incoming email was not.)

So, if they block port 25 going to their own server, that is a
change in the last few years.