Gatesware + Thunderbird + Sympatico broadband doesn't work

bob fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 25 18:46:24 UTC 2005

I've now had a 2nd first hand experience with Thunderbird on Gatesware with
Sympatico broadband.      It simply does not work.

I could get the POP incoming mail to work,  but nothing I tried could get the
SMTP to work.

For reference on the POP side the Thunderbird settings were:

pophm.sympatico.ca
port 995
SSL
userid=email address

The SMTP settings were:

smtphm.sympatico.ca
port 25
TSL
userid=email address

I tried all combinations of none, TSL if offered, TSL and SSL on the SMTP
side but nada ...  no joy.

All Sympatico tech support would offer is "we only support Outlook ...".
Interestingly the above settings were exactly the same as the Outlook
settings that I finally managed to pry out of Sympatico tech support.

Solution was to roll this setup back to Sympatico dialup which happily runs
with Thunderbird.

I understand that the hm in the new Sympatico servers name stands for
Hotmail.     Humm ... you think? ... naw Gates wouldn't do that now would he?

I'd be interested in hearing about what  a network sniffer on a working
Outlook and a nonworking Thunderbird setup actually see mind you.

bob