Working (basic) PgSQL->MySQL converted (was: Re:PostgreSQL to MySQL schema differences)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 13:21:57 UTC 2005

Joseph Kubik wrote:

> If you find a good guide to this problem for "the application developer"
> please let me know.
> I have some similar needs, and I see this issue becoming more important,
> not less.
> -Joseph-

Well, I wouldn't call it 'good' by any stretch of the imagination but
the first working version of the PostgreSQL -> MySQL converter is
available for download now:

http://tle-bu.org/download.html

As Christopher mentioned, there are a lot of function is PostgreSQL that
are not supported by MySQL. Obviously those functions can't be converted
directly but if you are in the boat I am, writting a program to use
multiple DBs, you've probably got the funky function in your code directly.

If your PostgreSQL database sticks to mostly stock SQL calls the
converter should work. As it is I can use the converted to change my
stock 'postgres.schema' file to a 'mysql.schema' file that will load
into MySQL properly.

Given that I only wrote it last night it is sure to fail on many source
schemas but if you (or anyone) is interested in developing it further
let me know. Otherwise I will only develop it for my own needs.

Madison