PostgreSQL to MySQL schema differences

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 05:13:08 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>    In the mean time I have given up looking for a pgsql -> mysql
> converter. There seem to be a lot going to other way (mysql -> pgsql)
> but they dont help me.

The trouble is that there are *substantial* functionality differences,
and not in a direction favorable for MySQL.  There's just too much
that MySQL doesn't support.

Your choice really is twofold:

 1.  Design something that takes advantage of how PostgreSQL works,
       which means it will definitely be incompatible with MySQL, or

 2.  Design something forcibly attuned to how some particular
      version of MySQL is implemented, with the result that it will perform
      ghastly badly with anything else.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)