Where can I buy a linux-friendly laptop?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 22 15:36:03 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 07:54:54PM -0600, Sy Ali wrote:
> > USB to serial cables exist.. how Linux-friendly are they?
>
> Often not very.  There never was a standard for usb serial, unlike use
> parallel or usb storage, so there is no generic driver.

Actually, part of the problem is that there never was a standard for serial.

There were a lot of variations on how different systems used RS-232;
whether certain signals were expected/forbidden varied quite a bit.

Per the wikipedia:

"Since application to such devices as computers, printers, digitizer
tables, test instruments, and so on were not envisioned in the
standard, designers implementing an RS-232 compatible interface on
their equipment often interpreted the requirements idiosyncratically.
Common problems were non-standard pin assignment of circuits on
connectors, and incorrect or missing control signals. The lack of
adherence to the standards produced a thriving industry of breakout
boxes, patch boxes, test equipment, books, and other aids for the
connection of disparate equipment."

The "loss" of the "serial standard" is definitely an ambiguous 'evil.'
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)