md5sum on CD

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 22 01:07:23 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, Moniz Family <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm having some problems burning CDs and am trying to check whether it's
> the burner or the CDs. One of the things I'd like to do, but can't
> figure out from the man pages, is to run an md5sum on the entire CD to
> compare to the ISO image I downloaded. Is there a way to do this without
> first making another ISO image from the CD? If so, would it give the
> same result anyway?
>
> On a related note, I downloaded all 4 ISOs for Fedora Core 4, but none
> of them had the same checksum as specified on the mirror site. I tried
> downloading Disk 1 a second time and had the exact same (but incorrect)
> checksum as the first try. I asked my neighbour to download Disk 1 and
> he got the exact same (but incorrect) checksum as I did. Coincidence???
> Is it a common occurence for the checksum to be wrong, but consistent? I
> think I tried different mirrors each time.

md5sum of a cd:
dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 | md5sum

>From http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/burn_iso_images.html
[quote]
If I had not specified -dao (session at once mode) and taken the
cdrecord default recording mode (track at once), the following would
have happened:

# md5sum /dev/cdrom
md5sum: /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
[/quote]

There could be an issue with the way you were burning the cd.