Where can I buy a linux-friendly laptop?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 21 19:32:40 UTC 2005

Colin McGregor wrote:

>Sigh, or there is the third option, the type III PC
>Cards with more-or-less conventional phone jacks in
>them.

These were good, but as you say they're now rare. There's very little
demand these days for wired-Ethernet PC cards

>the downsides of USB modems are
>the use of what in many cases are precious USB
>connectors (which yes you can get arround with a hub,
>but that adds one more bit of cabling that you have to
>deal with).
>
>If I were going with an external modem for a laptop I
>would look at the the likes of a conventional serial
>US Robotics 56K modem. Cheap (used), near bullet
>proof, uses a never used in my case serial port, the
>gold standard in Hayes compatibles and lots of idiot
>status lights to tell you what is happening. The one
>down side, a bit big and bulky...

Plus... unlike PC card or USB modems, external serial modems require
separate power. Just my own experience, but power outlets are usually
harder to come by than USB ports. You can always free up a USB port, but
if there's no AC power (or if you don't have an extra adaptor for the
country you're in) options are far more limited. In any case, the power
brick for the modem can be as big and bulky (and usually heavier) than
the model itself.