cdrecord under Fedora Core 3

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 21 14:52:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 09:54:09AM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> I am trying to burn a DVD using CD/DVD-burning software. I have tried
> two so far: cdrecord and Nautilus's CD/DVD Creator.

Use growisofs -Z /dev/dvddevice=file.iso

> I have scsi_mod loaded. Any other modules need to be loaded?

ide-scsi is depricated in 2.6 and often broken.  Don't use it.  Use
ide-cd instead.  Even with later 2.4 kernels ide-scsi is not recomended.

> Nautilus begins by "fixating" the DVD-rom (after indicating the ISO file
> to be burned), and then exits with an unusable half-burned DVD-ROM and
> no apparent error messages whatsoever. The status window just says
> "Complete." immediately after fixation. (Isn't fixation supposed to be
> the last step?)
>
> cdrecord was invoked using the following command:
>     cdrecord -v -speed=4 -dev=1,1,0 -data -eject
>          debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso
> The -dev was taken from the output of 'cdrecord -scanbus':

Unless you have cdrecord-prodvd (the binary only version) you can't burn
DVDs with cdrecord.  If you have the patched cdrecord with the dvd hack,
well unless you have a pioneer A103, I wouldn't recomend it.  That was
all it was every meant to work on.  growisofs from dvd+rw-tools is much
much better and actively maintained.

Lennart Sorensen