exim4/dovecot

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 21 04:06:22 UTC 2005

Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I've been attempting to setup my first full blown mailserver this past
> week. I decided on exim4 and dovecot because they seemed relatively painless
> to get up and running in short order and have all the features I need in an
> imap/maildir setup. Let me say this now -- I'm sure there are a million
> better ways to have done this, but with my limited knowledge and ability this
> setup is what I have and is what I intend to keep (unless it will take 5
> minutes to change).
>

> My question then: how do I get /var/mail/mboxfile into maildir format? I've
> used the Robin Whittle's Mb2md.pl script on the /home/user/mbox file to break
> it into discreet messages. However, this doesn't help when mail has to come
> from /var/mail/mbox does it? I'm sure I'll have to run the script on the
> /var/mail/mbox file, but won't it still be the default location where all new
> messages are appended?
>

> I can access all the imap folders and subfolders in /home/user/Maildir
> without any problems. However, I cannot retreive any new messages since
> exim4/dovecot, or fetchmail (I really have no idea which, I'm way out of my
> league here) is using the mbox file in /var/mail. How can I configure things
> correctly then?

One way is to confiugre exim4 to use procmail for local delivery (it may
already be configured to do that) and put this in /etc/procmailrc:

    DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

Note the trailing slash which tells procmail to use maildir format.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada