computer books in Toronto (Chapters)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 20 16:54:48 UTC 2005

Fernando Duran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> following the old topic of computer book stores in
> Toronto, I have to say that the selection in the three
> Chapters close to my house (hwy 7 a little W of 400,
> Steels & Yongue, Yorkdale Mall) is nothing to brag
> about.

I have found that since Indigo bought Chapters (and World's Biggest
Bookstore), the book selection has severely deteriorated, to the point I
rarely go their now.  Years ago, it was common to find engineering level
books at both Chapters and WBB.  Now it's considerably dumbed down.  At
one time, I could buy many of my Ryerson texts at WBB.  But now...  :-(

> By the way, today at Chapters/Coles they have books at
> 20% off regular prices with a coupon they send to
> email subscribers, so if somebody is interested I can
> forward it. Although the funny thing is that on their
> web site is usually cheaper to buy everyday.

What I have done on a few occasions, is find a book I want in the store,
then order it from the web site.

When I heard Indigo was buying Chapters, I was concerned because I
didn't want it to become another Indigo.  It appears my fears were well
founded.  A while back, Heather Reisman announced she wanted to move the
book stores more into gift stores, so we can expect further dumbing
down.  We've lost all meaningful competition to Indigo/Chapters and the
book selection is suffering.  A book I can't browse through, is a book
I'm unlikely to buy.