cdrecord under Fedora Core 3

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 19 17:07:22 UTC 2005

Kevin Cozens <kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Paul King wrote:
> > I am trying to burn a DVD using CD/DVD-burning software. I have tried
> > two so far: cdrecord and Nautilus's CD/DVD Creator.
> > I have scsi_mod loaded. Any other modules need to be loaded?
>
> [snip]
> > cdrecord was invoked using the following command:
> >     cdrecord -v -speed=4 -dev=1,1,0 -data -eject
> > debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso
>
> > The -dev was taken from the output of 'cdrecord -scanbus':
>
> There are a few issues here. You no longer need SCSI support loaded in order
> to do CD/DVD burning. If you want to burn a DVD rather than a CD there is a
> program called dvdrecord IIRC (I'm not in Linux at the moment). And finally,
> you will probably find it a whole lot easier to do CD/DVD burning using
> either xcdroast or k3b.

k3b (and probably xcdroast) still make use of the underlying tool (cdrecord
or dvd+rw-tools). I have had best results with the latter:

% apt-cache show dvd+rw-tools                                   ~
Package: dvd+rw-tools
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 332
Maintainer: Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann-uDfGT2BMUjhJc61us3aD9uTW4wlIGRCZ at public.gmane.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 5.21.4.10.8-4
Replaces: dvdplusrw
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.2), libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.2-3), mkis
ofs
Conflicts: dvdplusrw (<= 20020220.1)
Filename: pool/main/d/dvd+rw-tools/dvd+rw-tools_5.21.4.10.8-4_i386.deb
Size: 108222
MD5sum: 27c9ab1b7e5212bb66b6b6a7668e22e9
 dvd+rw-tools makes it possible to burn DVD images created by dvdauthor or
 mkisofs to DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RW disks, replacing cdrecord-proDVD
 in many cases.
 .
 The package contains:
 .
   * growisofs to burn DVD images or create a data DVD on the fly
   * dvd+rw-format to format a DVD+RW
   * dvd+rw-mediainfo to give details about DVD disks
 .
 and some programs to control the write speed and obtain information from
 DVD-RAM.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada