cdrecord under Fedora Core 3

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 19 15:02:23 UTC 2005

Paul King wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to burn a DVD using CD/DVD-burning software. I have tried
> two so far: cdrecord and Nautilus's CD/DVD Creator.
>
> I have scsi_mod loaded. Any other modules need to be loaded?
>
> Nautilus begins by "fixating" the DVD-rom (after indicating the ISO file
> to be burned), and then exits with an unusable half-burned DVD-ROM and
> no apparent error messages whatsoever. The status window just says
> "Complete." immediately after fixation. (Isn't fixation supposed to be
> the last step?)
>
> cdrecord was invoked using the following command:
>     cdrecord -v -speed=4 -dev=1,1,0 -data -eject
>          debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso
> The -dev was taken from the output of 'cdrecord -scanbus':
>
>         [root at gandalf debian-dvd]# cdrecord -scanbus
>         scsidev: 'ATA'
>         devname: 'ATA'
>         scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>         Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
>         Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
>         cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c        1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
>         scsibus1:
>         1,0,0   100) 'AOPEN   ' '16XDVD-ROM/AMH  ' 'R13 ' Removable CD-ROM
>         1,1,0   101) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-RW  DVR-107D' '1.09' Removable CD-ROM
>
> The Pioneer DVD recorder was used.
>
> The error/status messages were as follows:
>
>         cdrecord: No write mode specified.
>         cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
>         cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
>         cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
>         Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
>         Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
>         Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
>         Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
>         Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
>         TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
>         scsidev: '1,1,0'
>         scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
>         cdrecord: Success. Cannot open SCSI driver.
>         cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
>         cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
>
> Another invocation I tried which generated infinitely more verbosity was
> to mount the DVD ISO image on /mnt (using loopback), then running the
> following command (with a different invocation of the device option):
>
> mkisofs -R /mnt | cdrecord -v -speed=4 dev=/dev/hdd:@ - > errfile 2>&1
>
> The Pioneer is indeed on /dev/hdd. And, even this kind of pipelining
> into errfile did not catch all the output (even though it went to the
> console - which suggests stdout or stderr, but is probably some weird
> file descriptor). There are hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) lines
> telling me things like:
>
>         Using ZOPE_000.DEB;1 for  /mnt/pool/main/z/zope-cmf/zope-
> [...]

This may not be much of a responce but I settled on 'k3b' for burning. I
use Gnome and it runs fine under it but when you install it there isn't
an icon by default so either make one for it or just call 'k3b' as a
regular user from the command line. You aren't using 'ide-scsi=/dev/hdd'
(or whatever the proper syntax is) are you? The 2.6 kernel doesn't need
that.

Madison