Novell, WP

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 19 00:30:48 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne wrote:

>The loss of the equivalent to "reveal codes" [in OpenOffice] is a significant loss. While it may not have the *focused* braindamage of Word's thing of serializing binary forms of COM objects, it still gives me the impression of being something where functionality was thrown into a blender rather than being designed to do any sorts of things well.

Considering the state of the mess that Sun bought from StarDivision, I'm
amazed at how far it's come already. I know first-hand that "reveal
codes" is a highly in-demand feature request at OOo, and it may yet be
included in a future release.

>I just don't trust OO with big documents.

Is there any practical, real-world basis for this fear, or is it just a
gut feel that a real-time all-in-memory app like OOo can't do things as
well as a batch-oriented processor like TeX?

Me, I'm happy enough with the feature of OOo that allows each
chapter/section of a large document to be saved as separate files, then
aggregated at print time. Even so, If I wanted something that
pretty-printed large database reports or a really large mail-merge, I
think I'd go back to TeX too.

>Contrast with my example of
>feeling comfortable with doing *stunningly huge* things with LaTeX on
>hardware with less RAM than we'd hope to have L2 cache :-).

Yeah, but LaTeX has its own set of headaches. Just adding a font can be
a royal pain sometimes. If you're prepared to learn enough of the
syntax/language it can be nice, but that's a lot to ask of people who
don't (or don't want to) think like computers.
Using LaTeX is like compiling software, complete with macros and
pseudocode (ie, dvi files).

What I'm really hoping for is more interoperability between TeX and
regular WYSIWYG word processors, because existing GUI LaTeX tools like
LyX simply aren't there. As the GUI tools move to XML-based file
formats, it should be easier to move back and forth between them and
LaTeX files. There's already a translator between LaTeX and DocBook,
which is a good first step. A translator between LaTeX and OpenDocument
is a logical next step; that would let you create LaTeX files and
templates (and maybe even the foundation for macros) from OpenOffice,
KWrite or AbiWord. It would also, through a roundabout way, allow you to
convert MS-Word docs to LaTeX.

That's why file formats, and file format standards, matter.

- Evan