Sendmail vs postfix

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 18 05:11:01 UTC 2005

Robert Brockway wrote:
> Here is my take.  I admin all of the "Big 4" MTAs commercially:
> Sendmail, Exim, Qmail and Postfix.  In the case of Sendmail I've been
> doing this for about 10 years.  I used to run Sendmail on my personal
> boxes but a few years ago 3 remote security exploits in as any weeks was
> a bit much for me.
[snip]
> 1. Postfix
> 2. Exim
> 3. Sendmail
> 4. Qmail

Its interesting that you put Qmail on the bottom of the list in light of the
fact you experienced security exploits when using Sendmail. One of the
advantages of using Qmail is its atttention to security.

I can understand it being at #4 if that is due to feelings of how
easy/difficult it is to setup and configure compared to Sendmail. There are a
number of additional softwares packages available from www.inter7.com that
will be very helpful in setting up a Qmail system. You will find packages that
will let you configure and administer the mail system via a web browser. Users
can even administer their own domains. If you add sqwebmail you can allow
users to access their e-mail via a web browser.

The only other minor complication with installing Qmail is due to the bright
spark(s) who added dbus to Fedora Core deciding to use a UID/GID which is used
by the pre-compiled versions of Qmail. While Qmail predates dbus AFAIK, the
dbus creator didn't know about Qmail or the UIDs/GIDs it used. Fortunately it
may be easy to change the values used in dbus.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: