Novell will (continue to) support KDE after all

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 17 21:47:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:26:10PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> I still don't understand why they sold WordPerfect.  They could've
> ported that to Linux, and everybody would be talking about Novell's WP
> instead of Sun's OO.  In fact, Novell could have owned GUI desktop on
> Linux.

In my opinion WP never survived the transition to a GUI.  The 5.x
versions for windows were awful, the 6.x series in general were awful,
and the 7.x series (once Corel took over) were only slightly better.
The 4.x versions for Amiga were not exactly successful either and the
users there looked at the text program in a window and wondered why
someone wanted over $500 for that, when for under $200 they could buy a
nice WYSIWYG word processor, although one with a lot less lawyer
features than wordperfect (although not being lawyers, most users didn't
care about the missing features, and prefered the features they gained
and actually used).

Lennart Sorensen