Novell will (continue to) support KDE after all

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 16 02:17:16 UTC 2005

William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:18:28PM -0500, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, that's was a bit odd.  Could it be that Novell has no
> > > "strategy", and is simply trying this and that?  :-)
> >
> > Everything is a learning experience (trial-and-error), not just for
> > people, but for "virtual entities" like business too.
> >
> > Strategy is about minimizing the "misses" in a hit-and-miss
> > environment.
>
> True.  Novell could've said, "We don't have money to support 2 desktops,
> so we're dropping one."  Instead, they hype it up as Novell's new
> strategic decision from almighty IT think-tank.
>
> I still don't understand why they sold WordPerfect.  They could've
> ported that to Linux, and everybody would be talking about Novell's WP
> instead of Sun's OO.  In fact, Novell could have owned GUI desktop on
> Linux.

They did port it to Linux (or Corel did, I forget). We (Starnix) still have a
copy. It was decent but I still prefer troff or TeX/LaTeX to any word
processor.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada