to the Network guru's out there

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 17 00:50:11 UTC 2005

this might not be it but ..
i have had a problem a couple of time,
because of weak power/voltage drive on the ethernet card, and mixed with cable and distance,
that i get a ip, dhcp, yet have the issues you are taking about,
i.e. 95 % packet drop which appears basically as a dead connect.
Its a bitch to diagnois because as you did, you switch stuff around, and you try to rule out stuff.
In the end for me its a incompatiablity with the cable run, and the ethernet power/volts collectively between one computer and the router/&hub.
a cable might work in one computer but not in another due to the engery specs of the ethernet card.

-tl