Grub and/or kernel problem...

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 15 23:17:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 04:23:18PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 03:04:35PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:31:45PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> >> Aha!  Using the "--initrd" option on the make-kpkg worked very neatly.
> >> Thank you.
> >
> >Yeah you need to tell make-kpkg if the kernel is supposed to require
> >initrd or not so it can generate it in the postinst.
> >
> >> Probably, but not in my case.  I use Debian because I rarely need to
> >> think about kernels, or drivers, or anything at all - apt-get and go.
> >> However, I needed the kernel headers to get my Wacom tablet working (I
> >> used this guide: http://www.i3s.unice.fr/~ol/success.html) and I could
> >> not apt-get the headers for my kernel anymore, so I needed a new kernel
> >> for the headers to relate to.  I never used to make an initrd, but now I
> >> seem to need to.  Live and learn.
> >
> >And installing a newer kernel from debian wasn't an option?  What kernel
> >do you run?
>
> I probably could have apt-get installed a stock kernel - I've just never
> done that before.  It's work a try.  Something I found odd is that
> packages that used to be called "kernel-source-*" and "kernel-headers-*"
> are now called "linux-source-*" and "linux-headers-*".  Seemed strange
> and unintuitive, but an apt-cache search still found me what I was
> looking for.

I would guess that this rename occurred because Debian now
supports Debian/Linux, Debian/Hurd, and now the opened up
Debian/Solaris (whatever it's called instead of Solaris).
Many source packages will have the same name because the same
source code gets used for all OS/hardware targets, but the
name kernel-source would suggest a single package containing
a common kernel for all of the OS variants.