Grub and/or kernel problem...

Tue Nov 15 21:23:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 03:04:35PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:31:45PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> Aha!  Using the "--initrd" option on the make-kpkg worked very neatly.
>> Thank you.
>
>Yeah you need to tell make-kpkg if the kernel is supposed to require
>initrd or not so it can generate it in the postinst.
>
>> Probably, but not in my case.  I use Debian because I rarely need to
>> think about kernels, or drivers, or anything at all - apt-get and go.
>> However, I needed the kernel headers to get my Wacom tablet working (I
>> used this guide: http://www.i3s.unice.fr/~ol/success.html) and I could
>> not apt-get the headers for my kernel anymore, so I needed a new kernel
>> for the headers to relate to.  I never used to make an initrd, but now I
>> seem to need to.  Live and learn.
>
>And installing a newer kernel from debian wasn't an option?  What kernel
>do you run?

I probably could have apt-get installed a stock kernel - I've just never
done that before.  It's work a try.  Something I found odd is that
packages that used to be called "kernel-source-*" and "kernel-headers-*"
are now called "linux-source-*" and "linux-headers-*".  Seemed strange
and unintuitive, but an apt-cache search still found me what I was
looking for.
--

yours,

William