Thunderbird on Gatesware + Sympatico DSL

Allen Taylor agtnews-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 15 15:57:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:35:24AM -0500, bob wrote:
> My brother has Gatesware XP + Sympatico DSL. Firefox went on without
> incident. Thunderbird seems to install just fine and pickup all the
> Outlook settings and address book etc. It simply refuses to connect to
> the Sympatico email servers.
>
> Any ideas.

Conspiracy Theory: Maybe Sympatico's link up with MSN is starting to
bear fruit for Mr. Gates campaign to block all OSS apps!  :-)

Echoing Evan, I have also put several Gatesware (98 and XP) + Sympatico
setups on Thunderbird with no particular problems. As far as I'm aware,
Sympatico doesn't use any special handling of POP3 access. Should just
be port 110 with the usual authentication (don't forget to specify the
domain name as part of the user name: brother-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org). Outbound
may now require authentication (just check the "Use secure connection"
option on the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" Account Setting).

While I've found Thunderbird's importing of Outlook Express settings is
pretty good, I've not tried importing settings from Outlook. I would
suggest checking the specific settings on the "Account Settings"/"Server
Settings" panel to make sure they're valid.

Good Luck.

Allen