Sendmail vs postfix

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 11 19:09:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 04:53:37PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> That's a funny reason not to use someone's work.  I think you probably
> want to avoid anything I do, as well :-)

I like how debian's package system works, and I want _everything_ on my
system to be installed one way, which is through that package system.
It makes it consistent and easy to manage and I know where to look for
things.  A few things such as pine and qmail and such have licenses that
forbit releasing packages of binaries that are in any way modified from
the original sources.  Since qmail uses non FHS compliant locations for
its files, debian needs to fix that (since qmail's build isn't
configurable to do anything but do what djb wants), then they can't
distribute the resulting binaries.  So installing qmail (and pine and
such) requires doing something different than a regular debian package
where I just tell it which binary package to install, which is to me too
much work.

> No question that qmail (the software) is weird, though.

Yep it is.  It may work well and all, but it is weird.

Imagine how free the world could be if everything was BSD licensed or
public domain or something similar. :)  Those are my prefered licenses
if I was to write any project from scratch and release it.

Lennart Sorensen