planning to go back into Linux, what distro do you recommend?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 11 19:01:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 04:40:31PM -0500, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> I have not seen any evidence of that. Care to share?

The debhelper suite, cdbs, and such.

To make a deb, you extract source code, create a debian subdir, populate
it with a rules file (if using cdbs you can find examples from it, or
you can use another package's file as an example), and you add rules to
the makefile (which is what rules is) to tell it how to configure,
build, and arange the files.  It then packages everything up based on
what you put in the control file, in most cases automatically figuring
out library package dependancies and such.

I find the rpm method of putting the source tar one place, a spec file
somewhere else containing everything is rather confusing.

> True, which means the channel ops have to be much more vigilant on
> busier channels, like #debian where you can have 800 people, because
> the odds are higher that you will have such idiots. Another problem
> is when the channel gets so busy that following conversations is like
> drinking out of a fire hose. The value of the channel is diminished
> when it gets too busy. I am not sure how to address that issue.
> Channel splits have been tried on some channels, like #python, but it
> did not work out very well. Arguably, one should not be using IRC for
> complex issues anyway but there are times, such as when you are
> communicating directly with the maintainer of a package, that IRC is
> invaluable.

On the other hand it seems that the Debian channel has a lot less
problems that you normally would see with that many users, perhaps
because the ops don't jump up and down on every little thing.

Lennart Sorensen