Sendmail vs postfix

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 11 13:30:20 UTC 2005

On 11 Nov 2005 01:36:10 -0500, Tim Writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > That has always put me in conflict with how qmail works...  I have
> > configured it several times on my systems over the years; I have
> > always found it excruciatingly painful to configure.  Sendmail has
> > always been easier, at least as far as fiddling with the parts I
> > *NEEDED* to fiddle with...
>
> That's saying something. I'm curious though, do you configure Sendmail with
> m4 or go straight to the sendmail.cf? Sendmail's m4 configuration is fairly
> easy. I've heard a lot of people complain about the difficulty of configuring
> Sendmail only to find out they've never heard of the m4 configuration.

Well, any time I have configured Sendmail, it has only involved
fiddling with one line, namely the one that points the current host
off to the "smart relay."

If you have to do more than change the relay, I can only assume
Sendmail configuration heads off into scary, frightening directions
requiring having the "Bat Book" to swat at frightening M4
rewritings...

However, the "change the one line" algorithm was always enough for my
purposes when I used Sendmail.

In contrast, configuring qmail always involves starting from scratch
and determining which incantations of which config files need to be
established where with what contents.  They may be simple files with
only a few simple entries, but deciding which were needed never was
"simple."  With qmail, it never was a matter of modifying one line in
the config file...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)