Sendmail vs postfix

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 11 06:36:10 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 11/10/05, Ian Zimmerman <nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Lennart> I refuse to go near qmail due to it making to much work for me
> > Lennart> to install and maintain it on debian, and I avoid djb's
> > Lennart> software on principle because I think he is too weird.  Perhaps
> > Lennart> I should consider avoiding some of RMS's software too for the
> > Lennart> same reasons (I already avoid emacs, although gcc would be hard
> > Lennart> to do without).
> >
> > That's a funny reason not to use someone's work.  I think you probably
> > want to avoid anything I do, as well :-)
> >
> > No question that qmail (the software) is weird, though.
>
> The "djb property" stirs up a lot of heat.
>
> I see it four, no five ways:

[Interesting take on djb snipped]

> Personally, I figure that one of the major points to having other
> people write code is so that I *don't* need to understand how it
> works.

The biggest problem I've had with djb's software is it's not readable (by me
anyway). It looks like the output of a compiler for some functional (Lisp,
Scheme, etc.) language, only more obfuscated! Not to say that I don't run a
lot of code I've never read. I do but djb's attitude invites you to read his
code and when you do, it's a nasty shock.

> That has always put me in conflict with how qmail works...  I have
> configured it several times on my systems over the years; I have
> always found it excruciatingly painful to configure.  Sendmail has
> always been easier, at least as far as fiddling with the parts I
> *NEEDED* to fiddle with...

That's saying something. I'm curious though, do you configure Sendmail with
m4 or go straight to the sendmail.cf? Sendmail's m4 configuration is fairly
easy. I've heard a lot of people complain about the difficulty of configuring
Sendmail only to find out they've never heard of the m4 configuration.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada