Mac Open Source?

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 2 12:40:27 UTC 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> phil wrote:
>>
>> ... as a last resort since it doesn't integrate well with the
>> distributed software.
>
> Hmm, my experience of fink has been nothing short of excellent. This
> iBook feels like home now ...

I think fink works best for those who don't really want to be running
OS X at all.  Most of the problems I see -- mine and others -- have to
do with fink packages failing when they are asked to use
Apple-distributed headers and libraries (X11 in particular).  The
result is having multiple copies of stuff: the Mac-flavoured one and
the fink one.

My take is that I'd like to only use fink stuff to augment what's
already provided, but fink is a bit too 'totalitarian' to accept that
attitude.