FTP Question

Devin Whalen devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 17:37:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 20:23 -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Devin> Thanks for the suggestions.  I would like to use a perl solution
> Devin> so I am looking into Net:::FTPSSL.  However, I couldn't get it to
> Devin> install without a force on the make.  It would not work, but that
> Devin> might be because of the force on the make.  So maybe I will have
> Devin> to use curl or stunnel like Behdad suggested.  Thanks again.
>
> Taavi> Why did you have to force the make?  What did it complain about?
> Taavi> Was it missing crypto or SSL libraries/perl packages?  If so,
> Taavi> it's no wonder it didn't work. :) Try to figure out where it died
> Taavi> and why.
>
> In particular, have you tried the CPAN or CPANPLUS module?  It follows
> module dependencies automatically for you.

Yeah, I only ever install perl modules from CPAN.  I am not sure what it
complained about, as I didn't do the install.  However, it was during
the make test.  Some of the tests failed.  It could be a problem with
the module itself, or it could be our version of perl.  I haven't really
had time to investigate further yet.  I am kinda hoping they will just
use sftp and save us some time, but I doubt that will happen.  Does
anyone know what the benefits of using FTP with SSL has over sftp?  Is
it more secure, less secure?  I don't know why you would use it when
sftp is so standard and is secure.

Thanks.

--
Devin Whalen
Programmer

Take back the Web with FireFox....a browser you can trust
www.getfirefox.com

   .-.
   /v\    L   I   N   U   X
  // \\