mini-ITX graphics woes

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 31 20:53:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:27:50PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> My old PII 266MHz machine (in Windows at least) is just barely able to
> play DVDs with DMA enabled on the drives. My video card is an ATI All In
> Wonder Pro so no special MPEG decoding H/W here. Under Linux I find that
> the machine isn't quite able to keep up with DVD playback as it does
> under Windows but DVDs are still mostly watchable. A slightly faster CPU
> would be needed for better playback under Linux. Either the Linux
> playback software isn't as optimized as the Windows software or its just
> due to the other background tasks of my Linux machine.

The optimization varies between applications.  mplayer has x86 assembly
in it and mmx, sse, 3dnow, etc optimizations.  I don't know if ogle
and/or xine do.  At least MMX would be an option on a P2 and could help
somewhat.  Making sure to use -vo xv on mplayer (and similar on others)
to use xvideo extensions is also important.  -vo x11 just doesn't work
on a slow machine.

Lennart Sorensen