mini-ITX graphics woes

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 31 20:27:50 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>In my experience, a 400MHz P2 can do DVD playback IFF the video card has
>xvideo acceleration support so that it can handle the YUV decoding in
>hardware (which is a major cpu load of playing most video on a
>computer).

My old PII 266MHz machine (in Windows at least) is just barely able to
play DVDs with DMA enabled on the drives. My video card is an ATI All In
Wonder Pro so no special MPEG decoding H/W here. Under Linux I find that
the machine isn't quite able to keep up with DVD playback as it does
under Windows but DVDs are still mostly watchable. A slightly faster CPU
would be needed for better playback under Linux. Either the Linux
playback software isn't as optimized as the Windows software or its just
due to the other background tasks of my Linux machine.

--
Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb at ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"