presenting Linux to Windows admins

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 30 22:02:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 30 May 2005, William Park wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:56:01PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> getting replaced with Unix-based stuff.  They're not dumb people;
>> they're just accustomed to a very different set of OS customs.
>>
>> A friendly helping hand can give them a big leg up.  In contrast,
>> throwing "their stupidity" in their faces would just demonstrate that
>> LUG people are childish boors...
>
> (I lost much of this thread...)
>
> Calling them stupid in their face is stupid.  Etiquette dictates that
> you should do it behind their back and out of their earshot.  Perhaps,
> the best we (TLUG, individually or as group) can do is offer them to
> train them or anyone they care to send our ways.

I do not know where the 'calling them stupid' part came in, I certainly
did not imply this. The point is that they are used to use a gui for
everyting and, to make the bitter pill of 95% non-gui admin on Linux
easier to swallow, one should show them that the OS can do gui but that
there is another way (more than one), that text editors like vi are
completely usable after one learns 6 simple commands, etc.

Most Linux intros I have seen are geared to DOS users and go into deep
1:1 command parallels. That causes the listener's eyes to glaze over
real quick in my experience.

Peter